Sunday, October 08, 2006

Of Dirt, Rust and Other Minor Annoyances

This weekend called for a complete cosmetic healing. Note: this required I wear a respirator, eye protection and blue latex gloves (on account of the fumes and lead paint chips). I frighten and confuse my neighbors with my erratic, bohemian and toxic material based eccentricities.

First, I started with this too-good-to-be-true cleansing product. The company claims no water is needed -- just rub it on the bike, create a haze, then buff out the haze and walla! Clean shiny shine. This is what happened...sort of. Some stains did not come out and a waxing will be in order down the line.

Next up came the rust control. I slopped on two coats of the Rust Bullet. The only down side is that instead of ugly brown rust spots I now have ugly silver blotches all over the scoot. If this gets on my nerves I'll buy some white paint and have another go with the respirator, eye protection and blue latex gloves.

As for the other minor annoyances mentioned in the title...well the bike came to me from SF Scooter Centre with two irritations.
  1. The new gas cap gasket apparently swells up upon contact with gasoline. Hmmm...so the point of this thing is to seal the gas tank; but the very substance it is sealing in causes it to fail? Sounds like this whole cheap labor, outsourcing, globalization thing is working out well. In-state scooter stores want to charge me over $10 to ship me one of these little circles of rubber. I reject that sort of extortion. Barry said he'll send me one if he remembers...
  2. The rear left turn signal that worked when the bike left the store didn't work when the bike arrived at my home. What happened? Well, the brass contact point that connects to the cowl has mysteriously disappeared. I suspect the butler. Anyway, Barry said he'll send me one but warned me that it's really hard to install. Then I called San Diego's Motorsport Scooters who told me that it's super easy. Who will win this battle of ideas? Only time will tell...
Oh, and one more thing, I also ride the thing...and it's AWESOME!

Pics to come...

No comments: